Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

We really needed this long weekend (I know I'm a week+ behind but I don't feel like re-writing this). It's been very hectic lately so we were looking forward to three days off. Plus, with all of the rain over the past couple weeks we were hoping for some nice weather. We continued our annual tradition of hanging out with the Herolds on Memorial Day weekend. They recently moved into a new house with a pool so it was great to hang out with them on a beautiful, warm day. I didn't have my camera but Jess recapped it nicely on her blog. There are some great pics of Chad and his spectacular diving abilities. Katie enjoyed it as well which made me happy that we've enrolled her swimming lessons again. On Sunday, we went to my niece Ella's 5th birthday party. I can't believe it. 5 years old! She is growing up to be a beautiful, smart and caring little girl. And she seemed so happy at her party. As Ella and Katie get older, they have more in common and seem to really enjoy playing together. Ella come over to Marin during the party and tried to include her in the festivities. I thought it was the sweetest gesture. Happy Birthday Ella! We love you! On Monday, the day started off rainy. Katie and I went to the local Memorial Day parade while Marin took her morning nap. I don't know if I'm becoming weepier as I age but the past few years I tear up when the veteran go by. They look a little all over the place because some are wearing their dress uniforms and some are wearing jeans and a t-shirt but they all look proud. I made such a big deal to Katie about "clapping really hard" when the veterans marched by that Katie poked herself in the eye with her flag. Ooops. It kind of looked like she was crying after that so we were quite a pair! After the rainy morning, it turned into a muggy and hot afternoon. Chad told Katie that they could plant a flower and herb garden. At first, I was wondering why are we planting a garden when we have a giant garden we continue to neglect for years and years. Chad's mowed it over and cleared it with a weed whacker and that sucker continues to grow like crazy and produce some beautiful flowers. Regardless, we have a beautiful little flower and herb garden next to the deck so maybe this year we'll give some love to it's nearby abandoned neighbor. Stay tuned for photos of the new garden. Unfortunately we now have to retrain Abby to not sleep in the flower bed/new garden as she's been doing for the past few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment